Rocky Bar is a ghost town in Elmore County At its height in the late 19th century Rocky Bar boasted a population of over 2,500.
Rocky Bar was founded in December 1863 soon after gold was discovered along the nearby Feather River. Within two years it became the main settlement in the area and was even considered as a possible capital for Idaho Territory. The town was destroyed by fire in 1892. Although it was rebuilt, afterwards it began a slow decline. Rocky Bar has not had a permanent population since the 1960s.
Rocky Bar is located about eight miles north of Featherville, at the confluence of Bear and Steel creeks.
Rocky Bar was the first county seat of Alturas and Elmore Counties.
Photos by Julie Jones