Warren, Idaho is Located in a remote part of North Central Idaho, near the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness.
Warren is a genuine old-west gold mining ghost town even though there have been people living there since James Warren set up camp back in 1862. The current population is only 12 to 16 hardy souls year-round but about 50 people live there during the warmer summer months. During the Warren gold rush as many as 5,000 people called Warren home. There is a dirt airstrip and local accommodations include the Backcountry B&B.
Warren is located approximately 45 miles northeast of McCall. To get there go west on E. Lake St. for a little over a mile, then turn right onto Warren Wagon Rd and stay on that for about 43 miles to Warren. Some portions of the road are unpaved.
Miners from the previous gold strikes in Pierce and Florence fanned out to the south and discovered gold in the Warren Creek area in August 1862.
It led to the formation of the settlement, then in Washington Territory, making it one of the oldest settlements in present-day Idaho. With a gold mining boom in multiple regions during the Civil War, the Idaho Territory was established in 1863. Shortly after the gold discovery by Lewiston's James Warren, the Warren's Camp population swelled to over 2,000; the southerners called their area of the camp "Richmond" and northerners called theirs "Washington."
After the initial boom ended in 1875, Warren was known for its significant Chinese population.
The boom-town population plummeted when mining declined, but enjoyed a brief renaissance in the 1930s with the introduction of dredge mining in the area.
During World War II, gold mining was shut down by the U.S. government in 1942. Following the war, interest in Warren was high for rare earth metals in its by-product monazite. A modest gold mining industry remains in the area.